Typhoon Labuyo destroys homes, buildings, farmlands in Quirino Province

Typhoon Labuyo's death toll now stands at 7 after the body of a woman caught on video on top of her house as she was being swept away by raging floodwaters in Isabela has been recovered. 

Rescue teams found the body of the 40-year-old Benny Labio on Tuesday night along the shoreline of Barangay Dipangit, Jones, Isabela. Labio was reported missing on Monday after her nipa hut was swept away by floods during the onslaught of typhoon Labuyo.

Four others remain missing while millions in property were damaged.

“Umabot na din po sa P816 million yun ating estimated cost ng damages to infrastructure and agriculture,” said National Risk National Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council (NDRRMC) Spokesperson Major Reynaldo Balido.

In Aurora province where Labuyo made landfall, DZMM's Dennis Datu reported that the Baler-Casiguran road has been cleared as of Wednesday morning. The northern towns of Dinalungan together with Casiguran and Dilasag had been isolated since the area was hit by Labuyo.

Relief trucks from the Philippine Army were able to bring supplies from ABS-CBN Sagip Kapamilya to Dinalungan this morning. A team from ABS-CBN was the first to penetrate the town Monday morning.

Nearly 3000 families were affected and around 2000 homes were damaged, including a housing project of the local government. More than P80 million worth of crops and infrastructure were damaged. Classes remain suspended. Cellphone signals have been restored but electricity is still down in the town. No casualties were reported.

Over in Masinloc, Zambales, floods have subsided and most of the families evacuated have returned to their homes a day after the town was placed under state of calamity. 

Masinloc Mayor Desiree Edora said they are preparing for the relief operations on Thursday. She also appealed for more aid for the Typhoon Victims. 

"Ang panawagan lang po namin kung meron pong mga relief goods na para po dito yun ho humihingi kami ng karagdagan lalong lalo na ho yung medisina kasi karamihan po sa mga bata ay nagkakasakit ng sipon at ubo," Edora said.

NDRRMC said, they will be sending teams to isolated towns to assess their needs and draw up rehabilitation plans. 

“Kahapon nag-organize ng assessment teams papasok sa iba pang munisipyo ng Dinalungan at Dilasag for a more through assement dun sa mga needs ng kababayan at damage ni Labuyo," Balido said.

The Public Works and Highways department is also trying to clear the Baler-Casiguran highway which has been blocked by several landslides.

Social Welfare Sec. Dinky Soliman said over 41,000 families were affected by Labuyo. She added that more than 3000 homes were partially or totally destroyed.

Latest figures from the Department of Social Work and Development (DSWD) showed that only 62 of 118 evacuation centers remain open as most evacuees have returned to their homes. A total of P2.6 million have been spent to aid affected families.
Categories: ,


Post a Comment